FEATURE RECIPE | Homemade Crepes
Friday Feb 25th, 2022
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk (ideally whole milk, but skim will work, especially if you have a little cream to combine)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (plus more for the pan)
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup (or 128 gr) all-purpose flour
Making the Batter:
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter and set aside to let it cool it slightly.
- In a bowl whisk the two eggs lightly, then add milk and water while continuing to whisk.
- Add vanilla extract, if using. Then add melted butter, whisking all liquid ingredients together.
- Next add granulated sugar and salt, whisking to combine.
- Then add all purpose four, whisking until fully incorporated. The mixture should be very smooth, and the consistency of thick cream.
Making the Crepes:
- Place an 8-10 inch non-stick skillet over medium heat and generously grease the bottom and sides of the pan with extra butter.
- Pour less than 1⁄4 cup of batter into the hot greased pan, swirling the pan around in circles to thinly spread the batter all over the bottom of the pan – you want the crepe to be thin, so do not add too much batter - the thinner the crepe the better it will be.
- Cook the crepe for 1-2 min until the bottom sets, then flip - cook the other side for about 30 seconds until set.
- Transfer cooked crepes to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter, making sure to butter the pan between each crepe.
- Spread your favourite toppings / fruit inside the crepe, and then fold in half or in thirds and serve. (Our family’s favourite crepes are with a thin layer of Nutella spread all over the crepes and then adding either fresh strawberries (sliced in small bits) or thinly sliced bananas)
- Our family loves the crepes best freshly made and served warm, but the actual crepes can be made in advance and assembled just before eating.
- The Crepe batter will also keep well in the fridge for 24 hours, giving you an easy second breakfast of crepes the following day – just be sure to properly cover the batter and refrigerate, and then whisk again well before using.