FEATURE RECIPE | Ina Garten's Sausage Fennel Pasta Recipe
Thursday Nov 25th, 2021
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 3 cups chopped fennel (1 large bulb)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/4 pounds sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds, crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup freshly grated Italian Parmesan cheese, divided
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, such as Le Creuset, over medium heat.
- Add the fennel and onion and saute for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add the sausage and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, crumbling it with a fork, until nicely browned.
- Add the garlic, crushed fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper and cook for one minute.
- Pour in the wine, bring to a boil, and add the heavy cream, half-and-half, and tomato paste. Bring back to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 2 tablespoons of salt, and cook the rigatoni according to the directions on the package.
- Drain and add to the sauce, stirring to coat the pasta.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes to allow the pasta to absorb the sauce.
- Off the heat, stir in the parsley and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan.
- Serve hot in shallow bowls with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan on the side.