Kluge's Chicken Parmesan
For The Chicken:
• 2 large eggs
• 1 Tbsp minced garlic
• 1 tsp of dried parsley (optional)
• 2 tsp salt (divided)
• 3/4 tsp pepper to season
• 3-4 large chicken breasts halved horizontally and pounded / flattened to ideal ¼ inch thickness (creating 6-8 thin chicken fillets)
• 1.5 cup Panko breadcrumbs
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 1/2 tsp dried thyme
• 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
• 1/2 cup olive oil for frying
For The Sauce:
• 1.5 cups of marinara sauce - use your favourite sauce - store-bought or homemade
For The Topping:
• 8 ounces (250 g) mozzarella cheese sliced or shredded
• 1/3 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
• 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
To prepare the chicken:
1. Whisk together eggs, garlic, parsley, 1 ¼ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper in a shallow dish. Add chicken into the egg, rotating to evenly coat each fillet in the mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes (or all day if time allows for more flavour).
When chicken is ready for cooking:
• Line baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil
• Preheat the broiler and set an oven rack about 4 inches from the heating element
• Bring Marinara sauce to a simmer over low heat
1. In a shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, ¾ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, oregano and thyme together. Dip chicken into the breadcrumb mixture to evenly coat.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot and shimmering. Place 3-4 chicken filet in a single layer, with a little space between each, and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and crispy and by the end, fully cooked through (165*F internal temp)
3. Place cooked chicken on the prepared baking sheet and cook the remaining chicken filets (adding more oil as needed -- you also may need to reduce the heat so the chicken does not brown too much before it cooks through).
4. Top each breast with marinara sauce, leaving the sides of the chicken bare so they remain crispy, and then place 2-3 slices of mozzarella cheese and about 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese on top.
5. Place the tray in the oven and Broil until cheese is melted and bubbling (2-3 minutes).
6. Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil
Note: Chicken can be made ahead - including being breaded - and placed in the fridge for up to 8 hours - ideally, hold off on pan-frying until just before serving, as this will make the chicken its crispiest.